rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

Making Of A Surgeon

Making of Surgeon - William A. Nolen If you are going to have surgery soon you might want to skip this book. Surgeons do make mistakes. Nolen tells us that it is not a matter of some or even most surgeons making mistakes. It is a matter of all surgeons making mistakes and they make them most frequently if they are new surgeons. Understandably, they are not real prone to tell the patient about it either. There are a lot of things they do not tell the patient. It is very unlikely, for example, that a surgeon will tell the patient that this is the first time he has ever done this. Every surgeon has to perform surgery for the first time, but they are not likely to tell the patient that this is the first time. Furthermore, the most mistakes are made on the first surgery. If you have surgery and then find out that you are taking an unusually long time to recover and that complications keep popping up there is a good chance that you were operated on by a newbie. Reading this book can be downright scary.