rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

Impartial Investigation Into the Reasonableness of the Doctrines of Christianity (1892) - Emil Schultz This is another book I read on the sole basis that it was old and obscure. I am going to have to stop doing that to myself. Despite the title I really did not expect that it was going to be impartial at all. Actually, even as I started to read it I did not think I was going to like it. After starting it I thought for a short while that I was wrong. The author tries to compare the doctrines of Christianity to the scientific perspective. At the beginning of the book he explains the scientific point of view pretty well. There were some mistakes, but the book was published in 1892 and he explained it as it was understood at that time pretty well. My pleasure with this did not last long though. First I noticed that while describing Christian doctrine he kept using words like good and righteous. He certainly did not use such words for science. Then, for a long time he seemed to forget about science entirely to go on page after page praising Christianity. When he returned to talking about science again it was to misrepresent science in order to make it appear that science supported Christian doctrine. Then, as if all that was not bad enough, he forthrightly claims that the resurrection of Christ is an indisputable historical fact. This book was not even close to being an impartial investigation of Christian doctrine. It was all about defending and promoting Christian doctrine. It is a bible thumping preachy religious tract. I wish I could give it less than one star, but Good Reads does not allow that. I cannot bring myself to give it more than one star.