rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

The Unknown

The Unknown - Donald R. Bensen,  Manly Wade Wellman,  Fredric Brown,  Isaac Asimov,  Anthony Boucher,  Theodore Sturgeon,  Henry Kuttner,  L. Sprague de Camp,  Fritz Leiber,  H.L. Gold,  Nelson Bond,  Malcolm Jameson,  Robert K. Arthur The Unknown was a magazine published between about 1939 and 1943. This is an anthology from it published in 1963 to commemorate the twentieth anniversary of its demise. It was purportedly a magazine of fantasy, but a lot of these stories, even though technically fantasy, would be appropriately be classified as horror. One of them, The Gnarly Man, I would call science fiction. That was my favorite of the bunch. It was about a Neanderthal who had somehow been made immortal and was found in a twentieth century carnival playing the part of a sideshow ape-man. He has quite a few stories to tell from history, history that he lived through. It is interesting to note the quaintness of these stories. The quaintness reflects the attitudes that were extant during the time they were written in the mid-twentieth century and mostly sho in their sexism. It is not an overt sexism, but it does reflect the assumptions in the North American culture at the time. In The Gnarly Man the author was enough advanced in his thinking that one of his main characters was a female anthropologist, but still she was presented in a subtle sexist manner. Still, I found the stories quite enjoyable. I found them enjoyable because I do enjoy fantastic literature and I found them enjoyable because I enjoyed observing their quaintness. Please do not think that means that I approve of sexism. It just means that I enjoy observing the underlying assumptions of about seventy years ago.