rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

Brilliant Idiot: An Autobiography of a Dyslexic

Brilliant Idiot: An Autobiography of a Dyslexic - Abraham Schmitt This book allowed me to do some learning. I did not know much about dyslexia. I knew it was a learning disability, but I thought it was pretty much a reading disability. I had only the layman's conception about it as something that caused letters to be transposed in one's mind. I learned that there is a lot more to it than that and that it effects pretty much the dyslexic's entire life. The main reason I read it was because I have an acquaintance who is dyslexic and now I know that a lot of her behavior that I did not associate with dyslexia is directly caused by the condition. She has a tendency, when she wants to travel from point A to point C, to travel from point A to point B first and then from point B to point C even if it is a lot shorter a trip to travel from point A straight to point C. She says that that peculiarity is because she knows the way to point B and from point B to point C, but does not know the way from point A to point C. Now I know that this is a symptom of her dyslexia. I also now know that her tendency to get lost in what should be familiar territory is due directly to her dyslexia. I don't want to go through a whole list of other symptoms, but I will say that she matches quite a few of them and now I have a better understanding of her and can be quite a bit more sympathetic.