rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

On the Fringe

On the Fringe: Stories - Donald R. Gallo, Various This anthology was compiled in response to the Columbine shootings and is a collection of stories about high school students who are bullied and how they deal with it. It postulates that the victims of bullying are somehow different . They are called geeks, nerds and other insulting names, but the one thing that they are is outsiders. I was intrigued by the theme of this book and wanted to read it because when I was in high school I was a victim of bullying. Virtually every day I was constantly harassed, made fun of and frequently assaulted. I did not, however, feel all that different. I suppose I did feel like an outsider because I was certainly excluded, but I did not feel like I was ostracised because I was an outsider. Rather, I felt like I was an outsider because I was ostracised. That, of course, leaves me with the question of why I was ostracised. I never did figure that out and I was hoping that this book would give me some insight into myself. I was disappointed. Each story has its protagonist who is clearly quite different from her or his classmates and is persecuted for it. I could not relate to any of them, though, except insofar as I could relate to the persecution itself. I am still left wondering why I was persecuted. I will say, though, since the subject matter was so personal for me I was riveted to each story. I certainly did not find my attention wandering. I was also gratified that in most cases the so-called freaks did get their revenge. I hope that the bullies and potential bullies read this book and come to some understanding of what horrendous crimes they are committing, but I don't expect that many of them will. I think it is much more likely that the readers of this book will, like me, be the victims. I hope they will gain more insight about themselves than I did.