rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

How Humans Evolved

How Humans Evolved - Robert Boyd, Joan B. Silk This is a fairly typical human evolution textbook and -- despite the fact that I find the subject matter fascinating -- I don't have much to say about the content because it is fairly typical. Instead, I will say something about what is not even mentioned in the book. That is the creationists. As I was reading I could not help thinking about how clueless the creationists are about this kind of material. I especially had that on my mind because just recently -- and while I was reading it -- a creationist was beating me over the head with creationism as part of his main task of beating me over the head with his religion. I find myself astounded by the ignorance of these people. They could really benefit from reading this book and books like it. It would make it difficult for them to continue with all of their straw-man arguments and complete misunderstanding of what evolution is all about. It is unlikely that they will try, though, except for the so-called creation "scientists" who do read this kind of thing just to twist what it does say into something that is false. Those so-called creation "scientists" intentionally set out to deceive, so I feel very comfortable in calling them creationist liars. It is unlikely that the truly ignorant creationists will read this material because they are wilfully ignorant. No matter how much education a scientist might have they always think they know better because they have learned their biology in church. Nevertheless, no matter how much faith they have in their ignorance the universe will keep on going ahead and being the way it is. We, the scientific minded, will continue to try to find out and understand how the universe is while the creationists will continue to try to uselessly dictate to the universe how it should be. The universe will not cooperate.