rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

The Continent Makers and Other Tales of the Viagens (Signet SF, Q4825)

The Continent Makers - L. Sprague de Camp This is a collection of good old-fashioned science fiction stories. There is nothing profound about them and at the same time they are well written enough to keep one entertained. In fact, I give it four stars for its entertainment value. At the same time I wonder about some things. The author posits that the future in which it takes place has Brazil as the dominent world power which has taken the lead in interstellar travel once that was perfected and so is also the dominent power in the interstellar society and commerce that has developed. Why does he do this? L. Sprague de Camp is a writer from the United States and he wrote for a United States audience. By making these stories Brazil-centric he tends to flood his readers with unfamiliar Portuguese names and words. I see no reason why he would do this. That also is a cause of the main complaint I have about the book. This is not a complaint that effects most readers of the book. In my case, though, I scanned it and ran it through OCR software in order to convert it to an ebook to be added to the ebook library at Bookshare.org. That means that I had to thoroughly spell check it and proofread it. All the Portuguese words and proper names, all the made-up space alien words and proper names and all the deliberate misspellings to represent various accents made this job rather difficult and slow going. It took me over a month to finish it. Nevertheless, I did enjoy it. I am just glad that I finally finished it.