rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

Lost Traveller

Lost Traveller - Steve Wilson The nuclear war has come and gone. It is called the BLAM and in this novel history is divided into preBLAM and postBLAM. The setting is western North America and national government is no longer existent. It can be said that society is under the rule of outlaw motorcycle gangs. As I was reading this book I was contemplating the review I was going to write and for a long while I thought I was going to say that it does not read like science fiction. It was reading like a biker story. The Hell's Angels were in conflict with their biker rivals, the Gypsie Jokers. I was going to point out that it was not a bad book, but just that it did not read quite like science fiction. Then about halfway through the book the Hell's Angels protagonists encounter and join up with Lakota Indians who, in this post apocalyptic world have gone back to the "old" ways. Then it starts to read like an historical western. The Hell's Angels even give up their motorcycles for a time to ride horses. At that point, though, the fragmentation of North America starts to hit home. Then about two thirds through the book the Hell's angels tangle with the technologically advanced, militaristic, totalitarian regime in the east. That is when the actual alienness of the postBLAM situation starts sinking in. By the time I finished I could no longer say that it did not read like a science fiction novel. Still, though, there is a lot of reliance on outlaw biker culture and the main characters are all outlaw bikers. All in all I liked the story.