rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

The Elephant Whisperer: My Life with the Herd in the African Wild - Lawrence Anthony, Graham Spence This is a fairly enjoyable book by a ranger in a South African wildlife preserve who makes a personal connection with a herd of wild elephants. He is charged with maintaining a wildlife preserve, not a tamed life preserve, so he really wants to be in contact with the animals as little as possible. However, a herd of elephants has to be relocated to his preserve and they are not very happy with being there and immediately start escaping. That will not do. It is most likely to get them shot. Have you ever tried to control a herd of wild elephants though? About the only thing he can do is to teach the elephants to trust him so that he can convince them to stay put. That leads him to actually make frends with them. And that, of course, leads him to some emotional trauma when he has to have one of them killed and it also ends up consuming his life too.