rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

The Widows of Eastwick - John Updike This book is a sequel to another book that I have not read. I see that most of the other reviewers like the first book a lot better. I certainly hope it was better. I found this one kind of boring. Here is what I got out of it. There are three old women who hang out with each other and engage in small talk with each other and that is about it. They also happen to be witches and they do have magical powers, but it is as if the fact of their magical powers is only background information. They do not use those powers much and when they do use them it is for minor and inconsequential purposes. For example, a couple of them play a joke on the other when they are on a tourist trip to China. When they pass through Mao's tomb they magically make the other woman think that Mao winked at her. So what? The magical powers don't seem to have anything to do with the plot. Did I say plot? Actually, I am not sure that there is a plot. They just bumble along having small talk with each other. I am giving this two stars because I could tolerate it and I did finish it. I reserve one star for books that I actually dislike. This is one that I do not really dislike, but I sure don't like it either. Will I read the one that it is a sequel to? Well, the other reviewers say that it is better, so I may someday. I am not giving it a high priority though.