rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

A People's History of the United States (2010 Edition) - Howard Zinn I would love to see this book used as an American history textbook. It should be in every high school in America. If you look at the textbooks that are actually used you will see that they are histories of the rulers. They are histories of a small minority who make decisions for the vast majority and they are histories that justify the arrogant actions of that small minority. When you are writing the history of a people, though, just who are those people? The vast majority are the common people, the people who work in the factories, the people who grow our food, the people who create the wealth that the small minority hoards for themselves. This book is a history of that vast majority. Not only is it a history of that vast majority, but it is a history of their efforts to better their lot by fighting back against the small minority who exploit them. It is a history of the native Americans who were displaced and suffered genocide. It is a history of the slaves who were forcibly taken from their homes to be exploited at the lashing end of the whip. It is a history of the working people who organized themselves into unions. It is a history of the people who laid down their lives to oppose rapacious wars intended to exploit other people around the world. It is a history of black and white people who joined together in the civil rights movement. It is a history of all of us, not just the elites. Please, recommend this book around to everyone who has not read it. Recommend it to anyone who has swallowed the point of view that the boss class is the protector of freedom.