rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

The Book of Lost Things - John Connolly There are fantasies and there are fairy tales. I prefer fantasy and I prefer high fantasy. This is a fairy tale and makes a point of it. The book is actually more interesting before the fairy tale begins. The protagonist, David, is unhappy about the death of his mother. He is a child who had a particularly close relationship with his mother so that can be expected. When his father remarries he is not wild about his father's choice either and so he ends up arguing a lot with his stepmother. Then he falls through the looking glass. In this case the looking glass is a hidden passageway located in a sunken garden near his home. He lands in a world where he battles werewolves, evil trolls and other monsters and in the process he somehow rapidly becomes a master swordsman. He meets Snow White and the six dwarves. Yes, six, the seventh has had a falling out with the other six and has been ostracised. He travels through this magical kingdom to meet the king and, shades of Oz, the king is a weakling figurehead even if he doesn't actually have a curtain to hide behind. I still expect him to say, "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain." Somehow, through all this David grows into manhood by means of his adventures and is returned to his own world. The whole story is a fairy tale cliche, but I will give it two stars rather than one because it kept me entertained enough to finish it. Besides, when I started to rate it I began to think of some of the books that I have given one star to and I had to admit that it did rate above them.