rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

The Oxford Book of Modern Science Writing - Richard Dawkins This is an anthology of essays edited by Richard Dawkins, one of the foremost promoters of the philosophical materialist view of the world currently writing. His choices and his short introductions to these essays continue his work. Despite the title which indicates a more general science approach this book does lean more toward the biological sciences and evolutionary biology in particular. Since biology is my area of formal training and since I do have a special interest in evolution that suits me just fine and it is what you would expect from Richard Dawkins too. Nevertheless, those of you who are interested in physics, cosmology, mathematics and other branches of science will find something to your liking too. Furthermore, the essays have been chosen for their literary merit, so the writing is clear and engaging. It is quite comprehensible to the intelligent layman and provides learning possibilities to those who have never studied science too. Even the essays on mathematics are bereft of equations in favor of instructive and entertaining discussion.