rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

Rolling Thunder - John Varley Back when I was in junior high school the school library had a shelf with all the Heinlein juveniles on it. I read every one of them, but my memory of each varies. The school itself no longer exists, but if I could somehow be transported back in time I could still go directly to that shelf and even be familiar with the order in which they were shelved. One of those books was Podkayne of Mars. That is one that, after more than forty years, I have no memory of the plot. I only remember that it had something to do with the adventures of a young girl who was born on Mars and was named Podkayne. This book, Rolling Thunder, is apparently a tribute to
Robert Heinlein and, most especially, to Podkayne of Mars. The main character is named Podkayne and she is Martian born, but this is not a sequel. It is clearly stated that Podkayne is just named for the character in the old Heinlein novel. The book is full of Heinlein references and they come fast and furious in the final chapter. I suspect that if I could remember anything about the original Podkayne of Mars I would pick up on a lot of other references. Even though it has been many years since I read those Heinlein juveniles it was something of a nostalgia trip to read this John Varley novel. It is certainly Heinleinesque and intended to be. I am tempted to reread Podkayne of Mars to refresh my memory and to see just how parallel this is.