rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

Immune to Love - Claudia Jameson I am not ordinarily a romance fan and this book reminded me of why. You couldn't get more corn off a cob. However, I did read this one because there is a blind character in it and as a blind person myself I wanted to see how the blind character was depicted. I congratulate the author for not indulging in the stereotypes of the helpless blind person who needs and deserves only pity. In fact, not one character in this book even offered pity or condescention and that was quite a relief. There were some things that detracted from that though. First, the blind woman's brother seemed to be a bit ashamed of her and nothing in the story indicated that he was wrong for that. At least, though, that was not played up in any major way. What was played up was that he was guilt ridden for -- in his mind -- causing the accident that led to her blindness. As is to be expected in one of these treacly novels, he came to accept that he was not actually at fault. Another way that the depiction of the blind woman was detracted from was that this highly functional and self confident woman lived in a home for the blind. If she was that competant and self reliant then why was she in what amounted to an institution? I give this book two stars because of its good points and because I could at least pay attention to it without my mind wandering throughout it, but I was tempted to give it only one star because it really was not my cup of tea.