rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

The Essays - Francis Bacon, John Pitcher Okay, call me obsessive compulsive, but when I start a book I feel obligated to finish it -- no matter how boring it is -- and I finished this one, but believe me, it was very boring. I decided to read it because I had never read anything by Bacon before and on impulse I thought I might learn something about early modern English culture. The book actually consisted of various aphorisms and so-called wise advice. I say so-called not because it was necessarily all unwise -- although I think that perhaps some of it was -- but because it was all advice that has been heard before over and over as just cultural background. It is old-fashioned. Okay, what did I expect from the early 17th century? I mean that it has little relevance to the current world. I am also pretty sure that it was old-fashioned even when Bacon wrote it. He constantly refers to and quotes ancient Greeks, for example. Altogether, I did not relate to the book and if it was not for my compulsion to finish books I begin I think I would have given up on it very early on.