rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

Binary Star #2: The Twilight River / The Tery - Gordon Eklund, F. Paul Wilson This book contains two short novels in one volume and I disliked the first one, but liked the second one. I prefer science fiction, but I do like fantasy too. They are, though, two entirely different genres. They are at least as different from one another as a romance is different from a techno-thriller. It is true that a techno-thriller may contain some romantic elements and a romance might have some of the trophes of a techno-thriller in it, but when you read one or another you can tell which one you are reading and you know that you have completely different genres. Similarly fantasy and science fiction may at times share some trophes, but they still remain different genres. That is why when they are mixed beyond the point of sharing some trophes I get irritated. In "The Twilight River" by Gordon Eklund it is centuries at the very least since aliens from outer space invaded and conquered the Earth. Those aliens now rule over the humans. This is a pretty typical science fiction setting and I can easily find such a story quite enjoyable. But then, along comes a werewolf, not a werewolf that can be attributed to some previously unknown scientific phenomenon, but a genuine supernatural werewolf. If that wasn't bad enough, along comes a vampire. This total mixup of science fiction and fantasy really irks me.
The second story is a lot better. It is "The Tery" by F. Paul Wilson. This one is pretty solidly science fiction. It is one of the subgenre of lost interstellar colony which has lost its technology and degenerated. One thing I really like about it is that it illustrates the folly, arrogance and destructiveness of religion even if it does so in an understated way.
I would like to give "The twilight River" two stars and give "The Tery" four stars. However, I am rating the whole book, so I will compromise and give it three stars.