rogerloranbailey

Readings and Ramblings

This is Readings and Ramblings. It is readings because this is a site for blogging about books and I intend to do that. It is ramblings because I might want to write about something else now and then.

SPOILER ALERT!
Dead Simple - Jon Land

If you like nonstop action and violence you will probably like this book. The violence and fast moving action does not let up. Well, I suppose it wouldn't be a thriller novel without all of that action and violence. However, a little attention needs to be paid to other things like plot and characterization. The plot is pretty simplistic. A terrorist is out to wreck havoc on New York City and it is up to the hero to stop him. There is a subplot about the hunt for a missing treasure too, but that just kind of peters out and is left behind. A little more complexity in plot would have been really nice. Worse, though, is characterization. All the characters, every one of them, is a stereotype. I suppose the nonstop action would have to have to been interrupted to give the characters some complexity, but it would have made a better story. You have the muscle bound hero who meets one deadly situation after another without blinking and then just goes on to the next with weapons blazing. You have the evil land developer who will kill to get his way. And then you have the terrorist. He wants to make this country really hurt. Why does he want this country to really hurt? He doesn't say and no one else does either. There was a point where I thought his motive was going to be revealed, but it turned out that it simply told why he felt free to go on his rampage.
Nevertheless, despite the flaws the book was at least entertaining and it was not trying to be a great piece of literature. I will give it three stars for succeeding in being entertaining.